Friday, September 4, 2009

So what exactly is this Etsy thing?

People are talking about Etsy.

What could cooler than being able to shop online? Being able to browse and purchase all types of unique HANDMADE everythings, right at your computer.

Etsy.com. We are designers, innovators, artists and creators. We love the items we make and are passionate about creating.

I first fell in love with Etsy because of my passion for creation, I thought it would be the ideal place to share my creations with the world, and although all of this is true. I have come to realize that I can also benefit from shopping on Etsy as well. I am extremely "over" the whole "run out and get a whole bunch of inexpensive trinkets for friends and family members at some store phase". Everyone does that and it I am beginning to find it slightly mundane. Many of these items that I receive remain wrapped up in cellophane for a few years before they are eventually thrown out. Now that I have found Etsy, I cannot wait for the holidays to arrive!

I know what you are thinking... you don't really love the look of artisan items, basketweaving, handpainted shelves, etc. I don't love that either. While this type of item is also available on Etsy, what really draws my attention is the large amount of handmade, "indie" or underground, if you may, sellers with unique and modern styles. While some items may have an old time inspiration, the design elements and style is anything but dated... Take this innovative dress for example... made from an antique quilt top and antique cotton feed sack, super cute and with modern flair! It is the finds like this that keep me on Etsy and out of designer stores and places like Target. ((Pretty Birdie by Stephanie Teague)


Etsy is also a great place to browse handmade soaps. One seller I met recently specializes in vegan soaps like the one pictured on the right.

"All of my soaps are made with nourishing coconut milk, herbs, fruits and vegetable bases."
-DeShawn Marie

How can one resist something this luscious...?
So we know that Etsy houses a great selection of trendy handmade items with a country touch and modern flair. With that being said, it is important to note that Etsy is not solely a place for homestyle inspired items. Take this cute fabric bangle for example... this one is my own! A beautiful scrap of Japanese print fabric wrapped around none other than a recycled duct tape roll! Sustainable, and trendy.
Hopefully you have enjoyed my intro to the wonders of Etsy! I hope to bring you a few more indepth articles later on! But for now... what are you waiting for? Head on over to Etsy and see for yourself what it is all about!

1 comment:

  1. Great intro to Etsy post! I personally live on Etsy.

    Gwen
    http://efairytale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete